Friday, January 12, 2007

Of Sex, Lies and Bull

(Disclaimer: This post is intended to prove to the world and myself that I can be serious and thoughtful. Any part of this post considered funny is purely coincidental .)

Pre-marital sex. That is the focus here. There are two categories. One- oo you look pretty in your short pink skirt-let's go back to my place-wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am. Second-in a serious relation, being intimate with someone.
I have nothing against one night stands, though it is only meant to release built up sexual energy. But that's not we are talking about. I am talking about the taboo, in a relation sex. Before getting into that, one has to get into the dynamics of live in relationships.
I, for one, do not understand the whole concept of spending the rest of your life with someone you haven't lived with before (and this goes not only for arranged marriages but also for 'love' marriages). Think about it. First week of your marriage and you find out that you get irritated by his/her bathroom habits-the way he/she leaves the tooth brush on the sink, leaves the toilet seat down etc. They seem like small things but it doesn't take long to build and frustrate you. So I think it is imperative that you live with that person and find out how compatible you are.
Now if we are agreed on that (and I know we aren't if you have the o-face right now with a palm in front of your mouth, but news flash-I don't care), I come to the second part-sex. On the lines of testing compatibility, one of the most important things in a relation is sex. Even if it doesn't show in the Indian society (and only because it finds a nice dark corner in the closet and hides itself), a lot of relations go sour because one of the partners is not satisfied. Marrying someone you haven't slept with just adds to that problem. Imagine finding out on your first night that he/she is gay (does happen), doesn't enjoy sex (oh believe you me), is a perv who will settle for nothing less than tying you up (lol..freaked you out didn't I). And at a time like this wouldn't you wish you had tried it out before?
The truth is, love can bring you together but it is not the only thing that keeps you together. There are a score of other things that a couple has to figure out. So why is it taboo to explore these aspects but not taboo to not do so and end up with a life of regret?

No comments: